Friday, April 27, 2012

Being Changed by Being in Lesotho

My experience in Lesotho, Africa can be described in the very least, as a life-changing experience. I know that I am not alone in returning from the Mountain Kingdom completely changed after living in there for just a month. In this short time period, I was completely immersed in a new culture, language and place. Completely exposed to new people, lifestyles and concepts I had the opportunity to learn so much, not just about Lesotho but about myself as well. When I was accepted into the 2011 Wittenberg in Lesotho program, I had no idea what to expect. Ironically, the only, yet best advice I had ever received before going was, “Have no expectations and keep an open mind”. By hearing the passion and emotion other students had while talking about their experience made it near impossible to not have any expectations. Having never left the country before, I knew this trip would have a heavy impact on my life. I was not sure how it would affect my life or why it would if it did; the only thing I knew for certain was that Lesotho, Africa was going to be the most memorable experience of my life.

After arriving in Lesotho, it did not take long to notice the breathtaking scenery of the Mountain Kingdom.  We arrived in a small rural community, encompassed by mountains and landscape. It was impossible to take my eyes away from the window on our long bus rides to our work sites. At first I started taking as many pictures as possible, just to reaffirm that I was actually there. However, it was not long before I noticed that the picture I just took was nothing compared to the feeling of actually being there. Whether it was watching boys herd cattle down the road, looking out over the whole town at the top of a mountain, seeing women carrying their babies wrapped tightly in blankets, or star gazing in the middle of night, there was something serene and peaceful about just being in Lesotho. Lesotho’s atmosphere was unlike anything I had ever felt, and despite being on the opposite side of the globe, I had never felt more at home.


The majority of my days spent in Lesotho were at various work sites around Maseru, Roma and Morija. We painted classrooms, built shelving units, a green house, piggery and chicken coop, planted trees outside of a school and orphanage and built two playgrounds. These projects we completed were specifically chosen, as they can be self-sustained by the Basotho and have long term effects. They were intended to help sustain a healthy and happy life and to empower the Basotho. As a unit we were dedicated to our cause in helping these organizations accomplish whatever they needed. And although the work may sometimes have gotten tedious or exhausting, no one ever complained. Laughter and smiles were never absent at the work sites and it enabled us to grow closer to one another and to the Basotho we were working side by side with. By the time I left each work site, the visible progress of our work was extremely self-fulfilling. It was an amazing feeling to go home at night knowing someone appreciated what we had done. The Basotho never let us forget how thankful they were for our help, when in reality, I was the one thanking them. Not only was I learning how to mix cement in a wheelbarrow, or how to nail shelving units together, I was learning how to work together, how to problem solve, how to be patient and dedicated. Working at the sites enabled me to learn not only about Lesotho, but about myself.

However, Lesotho does not bring only smiles and joy. While fulfilling our service requirement of the trip by painting the schools, or building a playground, we were exposed to the harsh realities of the issues facing the Basotho. The impact AIDS has on the population is detrimental.  Access to sufficient health care or education was rare and the political, social and economic structures of Lesotho created very little mobility for the Basotho.  Every day I met children who were orphaned by AIDS and women being exploited for their labor, struggling for a substantial life. There were numerous nights I spent in bed crying, feeling frustrated and defeated. There were moments where I lost hope and thought that there was nothing I could do to make a difference for these people that I have grown to love and care about. Sometimes I questioned why I was there, or what my purpose was. It was nights similar to these that reality exceeded expectations. You can try to prepare as much as you can to see hardship and poverty, but actually being in the midst of it, yields much stronger emotions. It was during this time that I completely reevaluated my life and values. 


But without the bad, you cannot experience the good. This extends even to Lesotho. Even when I felt the most defeated or angry and lost hope in the future, the Basotho were there to teach me. Day by day it became apparent to me what mattered most in life, what was truly important and necessary to live a happy life. Despite hardships and struggles that would cause suffering, the Basotho found happiness in their lives. Whether it was a smile from a woman in line at the store, a wave from a child on the side of a road, or a hand written letter by one of the children in the community, the Basotho demonstrated values and perspectives that I would soon cherish. They appreciated my friendship, my stories and willingness to help them. I witnessed as they worked together as a community in order for everyone to benefit. The determination and passion the Basotho have for themselves and their country enabled me to find that hope I had once lost. It enabled me to learn that nothing is impossible, and by working together we can move towards a brighter future.  

Leaving Lesotho was one of the most difficult things I had ever done. I felt so comfortable, peaceful and happy there. I started finding happiness in the smallest places, and what once used to worry me seemed petty. I did not have an epiphany, and there was no moment in particular that changed my life. However, I was a changed person by the time I arrived back in the United States. I felt different. I sounded different. I was just different. I talked slower and softer, I smiled at more passer-byers, I looked at the sky more often, I thought about people more frequently. Everything about the way I live my everyday life has been affected by Lesotho. I learned so much during that short month, both about the country itself and about myself. It was truly a life-changing experience and I still feel lucky that I had that chance. Whenever I am asked about the Wittenberg in Lesotho trip I always recommend going with no expectations. Lesotho, Africa, will change you if you let it. Remain open minded and be willing to endure the emotional rollercoaster that these changes require, because it will be worth it. It was the most challenging thing I have ever done, emotionally, physically and mentally, yet I would not take back a single second of it. This experience was uplifting and inspiring. It taught me an immeasurable amount about myself and my relation to the world around me. The friendships I made in Lesotho are life-long. There is not a single day where I do not think about them or wonder how they are doing. I think about our memories and reread our letters. The people in Lesotho have changed who I am, and I can only hope that one day they understand what an impact they had on my life.

-Briana Leary

Briana is studying philosophy at Wittenberg University and traveled to Lesotho in June of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment