Tuesday, March 11, 2014

7 Travel Surprises From My Time in Lesotho and South Africa

One of my favorite travel quotes that I always keep with me is the famous words of Mark Twain "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime. “

There is another travel truth he forgets to mention however, it goes ...  no matter how many guidebooks you read, google topics you search, questions you ask your well-traveled BLOOM Africa deputy director brother or preconceived notions (either conscious or unconscious) you pack with you, there will always be travel surprises. And really, aren't the surprises and the unexpected what makes travel so special?

Ok, Twain probably wouldn’t say that but it is something that I believe. Throughout the trip, I kept a list of all the surprises I was lucky enough to experience and learn from during my week in Lesotho and South Africa as a BLOOM Volunteer 2014 trip member. Here are some of my favorites:

The braai.
The first stop of our trip was at BLOOM founder Andrew Steele's host family, the Monama’s , home for a barbecue or as they say in South Africa, a braai. After more than 20 hours of travel, I appreciated the time and care they put in to introduce us to South African cuisine and honored by the way they welcomed us, in true barbecue fashion, as family.

The time we spent that first afternoon together sharing about our backgrounds, learning from the six university students the family so generously provides a home for (who were absolutely remarkable, by the way, in both their dedication to learning and future aspirations), and getting to know each other set the tone for opening our hearts and minds to the experiences ahead of us.

Lumela!
I practiced and practiced but still Sesotho words left my mouth as jumbled noises. To my surprise, no matter how jumbled my hello "lumela" (pronounced ‘du-may-la’) came out I was greeted and welcomed in return graciously. I will forever be humbled by and remember the warm welcomes, smiles, and thumbs up “sharps” the Basotho people gave me.


Tour guides.
Our tour guides came in various and surprising forms. The passion and love for their culture of all our spontaneous tour guides made every step we took together precious and impactful.

From children grabbing our hands and disregarding their bare feet to lead us along the rocky hilltop path of Roma to see dinosaur footprints to leadership from the Thaba Bosiu Youth Sports Development Centre dropping their plans to walk us through Lesotho history on Thaba Bosiu's mountaintops. Our quiet morning with Lerato, the chief’s daughter and manager of the Ramabanta Trading Post Guest Lodge, spent patiently answering questions, sharing traditions and guiding us through her beautiful village and Maicy, Malefa, and Bokang, the endearing members of Team Lesotho, who embedded themselves as an integral part of the trip for 3 days.


Atop Thaba Bosiu

And of course, our outstanding driver, Klaas, who carefully led (and tolerated) us for the entirety of the trip.

To each of our tour guides, I cannot thank you enough for your time and allowing us to become so intimately engaged in your country.  Meeting and building relationships with each of you was hands down the highlight of my time in Lesotho and South Africa.

Fat cakes.
Fat cakes are like a mix between the best bread you've ever eaten combined with the happiest funnel cake you've ever enjoyed; all for the price of a pack of gum. I can't say what I learned from fat cakes, but I can say if you travel to Lesotho for the fat cakes and just the fat cakes, you won't leave disappointed.

Fences.
As we drove throughout South Africa and especially in Johannesburg, I was surprised and shocked by the tall fences and barbed wired that enclosed every home and business. It was a constant and eerie reminder of South Africa's Apartheid past and the barriers that we as people and communities put up to keep each other out. It was also a reminder of the continued work required to fulfill Mandela's dream of a rainbow nation, both in South Africa and here at home.

Lesotho’s beauty.
Yes, I saw pictures. Yes, I heard stories. Yes, I watched videos and read descriptions but there was nothing I could have done to prepare for the breathtaking beauty of Lesotho and its people.  I am happy that pictures, words and videos can’t capture it and that all future visitors will also be surprised by the power of nature’s beauty and how much of it is consolidated within Lesotho’s borders.


The big five.
Our last days of the trip were spent at Kruger National Park, where we found elephants, rhinos and buffalo. Our safari didn't spot any of the big L's - lions or leopards - but at that point we were so filled with love, who cares?  

Giraffe at Kruger Park

For me, the real big five of the trip was Liz, Laura, Sarah, Brigid and Adam, my fellow Voluntours, for joining the trip with such enthusiasm. Whether we were stuck in a ditch on a remote game reserve dirt road, providing shoulders for our exhausted bodies to lean on or listening as we shared the immense emotions we were feeling – I am so glad I had the opportunity to share each and every moment with you.

Through all the surprises, the greatest lesson I learned came to me as no surprise at all: No matter where you are in the world, as humans, we are all the same. Kaofela Rea Tsoana.  

Yes, cultures differ and landscapes change. Language barriers exist and fences might separate us but at the core, a children’s laughter, a smile, the human spirit, unites us as one. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you Lesotho and South Africa for all of your surprises.  And thank you BLOOM Africa for taking me on this adventure.

-Destinee


Destinee Thomas lives in Cincinnati, Ohio and is the sister of BLOOM Deputy Director, William Thomas.  She joined us on the Voluntour and wrote this reflection after her experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment