Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back To Where The Heart Is

Six years ago I took a trip that influenced who I am today. I was fortunate to be one of 30 Wittenberg students to travel to Lesotho with Professor Rosenberg. The trip exposed me to another part of the world and to a country that I did not know existed before. Today, Lesotho feels like my second home.

It was easy to fall in love with Lesotho’s beauty and the friendly and welcome spirit of the Basotho (people of Lesotho.) The smiling faces of the children became a part of me. The work we did in orphanages, Habitat for Humanity locations, and an AIDS clinic opened my eyes.  Holding the hand of a young orphan infected with HIV gave me an understanding of the depth of the virus; of the immense effect it was having on the people of Lesotho. I saw the need- one in four Basotho are infected with HIV/AIDS and the result is over a 100,000 orphans in the small country- but I also felt the incredible potential of this beautiful country. The experience inspired a group of us to create BLOOM Africa.



Two weeks ago, after six long years away, I had the opportunity to return to Lesotho with my brother Andrew Steele. As we crossed the border during the darkness of the night into Lesotho, I rolled down my window and was immediately greeted by the distinct smell I remembered. Tears filled my eyes listening to the beautiful singing welcome of the school children.  I was overcome with goosebumps. I couldn’t believe I was finally back.

I can remember as a kid watching the Lion King and dreaming of a faraway place of Africa. This continent, that was once just a dream to visit, has now become a reality in my life. Now, I have visited twice, and we have a team of amazing volunteers around the world devoting their time to help with BLOOM Africa. In all, our return to the nation of Lesotho was surreal.


While there, I was continuously confronted with the phrase Kaofela rea tsoana....We Are All the Same. Through travel and meeting people from all different walks of life, the phrase encapsulated the truth I've learned. As humans we all share common hopes and dreams that binds us together. During our trip, we visited project sites, spoke with leaders in the community, shook the King’s hand, and met with local and international NGOs to learn and collaborate. There is great work still to done in Lesotho, but I am optimistic and re-energized that working with the Basotho and BLOOM Africa there is a brighter future ahead for the children of Lesotho.



“Maybe I’m a hopeless optimist.  Maybe I’m naïve.  Maybe I’m unrealistic.  Maybe my educational expertise isn’t sufficient to anticipate how much can and will go wrong.  Or maybe I just can’t bear the thought of failing the kids again.  It doesn’t matter.  I’m all in.  And for the long haul.”
-Dr. William Henk


T
hank you for sharing in BLOOM Africa’s dream.



Peace,


William


This blog entry was written by William Thomas, BLOOM Africa Deputy Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment