Monday, March 26, 2012

What Hunger Games Are We Playing?


This weekend, I’ve heard the word “hunger” a lot.  Just about every time, it’s been about the movie “The Hunger Games.” This movie is based on the novel, which really gained popularity while I was serving as a volunteer in South Africa.  So naturally, I feel pretty left out from the public discourse on this book and movie.  So for me, each time I heard or saw someone speaking about the debut of this movie, I got caught up on a memory of the last time I confronted true hunger.

Three weeks ago, I left for a 10-day trip back to Lesotho.  I was so excited to travel back, especially since friend and fellow BLOOM Africa team member, William Thomas, joined me.  I always enjoy exploring Lesotho with close friends.  It allows me to share my passions and the place that has changed my life forever.  And despite my overall excitement to return, there was a calm subtleness to my voyage.  I was going home, and I was comfortable with that.

After working off the jet lag and initial arrival activities, we headed to the Mountain Kingdom in the Sky.  Oh, it was good to be back.  Besides the obvious ambiance and majestic mountainous backdrops, I was simply happy to see the friends I’ve made over the years. 

In Roma, I have befriended a particular family since 2009.  The family consists of a grandmother and her four grandchildren, who she has to raise because of the ravishing affects of HIV/AIDS.  The children’s ages range from 13 to 4 years.  I have created a special bond with the grandmother, who is able to speak enough English so we can share in conversation each time we see each other.  And over the years, I have become friends with 13 year old Tiisetso. 

Reuniting with grandmother Rose

When I first traveled to Lesotho in 2009, Tiisetso was an outgoing and rambunctious 10 year old.  Despite not speaking much English, he and I were able to create a bond and friendship that transcended barriers.  And although we didn’t share a lot of words, laughter was our common bond.  This friendship continued as I visited Lesotho multiple times in 2010 and 2011.  Even as I walk throughout the village now, children come up and say, “Aren’t you Tiisetso’s friend?”

So when I returned this month and noticed a difference in Tiisetso’s smile and charisma, I was worried.  I could tell right away that something wasn’t right with my friend.  His glowing smile was hard to find.  And despite growing a bit in height, he seemed more slender than I had remembered.  He was becoming a teenager, but the amount of food his family was able to provide was still the same as when he was a child, if not less.  I felt the difference in Tiisetso’s persona, so one day I asked him, “What’s wrong?”  And his simple, but profound, response was, “I’m hungry.”

I had no reply.  What could I say or do that would change the way he felt.  I have never felt that kind of hunger in my life.  I’ve been blessed my whole life, not only to always be satisfied, but to often have the choice in what I ate.  It was, perhaps, one of the only times in my life where I was left completely speechless.  Holding back the tears and anger wasn’t easy as I tried to change the subject.  Tiisetso somberly got up from under the tree and started kicking a dilapidated soccer ball.  Since that time, I can’t get the thought of hunger out of my mind.

So as the nation (and world) head to the theaters to watch a new movie, I can’t help but think of my friend half a world away.  For me, the real hunger game is not a game or fictional scenario.  In fact, it’s a matter of life, happiness, and even death.  Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a great novel and movie to let our imaginations run wild.  Imagination is what creates hope and hope is what creates futures.  And honestly, I wish every time I heard the word ‘hunger’ or ‘hungry’ I didn’t have a story of my friend in Lesotho, barely able to speak or crack a smile because of his lack of food.  But I can’t help this feeling or thought.

And so, I will be a more thoughtful consumer.  I will not overeat.  I will use my purchase power as a consumer to buy foods that come from an organic and local source.  I will think of my hungry friends around the world every time I enjoy a fulfilling meal.  And I will fight for an end to unnecessary hunger, especially in children, in Lesotho.  And hopefully one day, the concept of hunger for Tiisetso and others will be exactly what it should be…a fictional game.

Khotso,

Andrew

This blog entry was written by BLOOM Africa director, Andrew Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment