Monday, January 23, 2012

How Lesotho Changed My Life


Community service is something I have had a passion for since the beginning of high school. I remember right before the summer of my freshman year attending my sister’s high school graduation. I recall seeing a medal she had around her neck and asking my parents what she was wearing. They explained to me that she had performed over 200 hours of community service and for that she and any other student who had accomplished the same act received that medal in recognition for their accomplishment. After hearing that I knew that was something I too wanted to accomplish. I will admit at first that was my main reason for wanting to perform community service. I wanted to receive that medal of recognition upon my graduation, but my motivation for service slowly began to change as I became more involved in service projects.

I began serving through a hospital in town. I would volunteer one night a week for four hours. I was at the front desk. I was the first person to greet anyone who came into the hospital. I enjoyed this responsibility because I wanted to hopefully create a comfortable happy environment with my attitude. Many of the people who came to the hospital were there to visit a sick or hurt family member. That can be hard to deal with and it was my personal goal with the short interaction I would have with them to make them feel at ease and calm. I was also responsible to deliver flowers to patients whenever they would get a delivery. This was my favorite part of the job, so to speak. Seeing the look on their faces when they saw the faces, especially the elderly patients, is something I won’t forget. It didn’t matter how they were feeling, but for that moment they forgot about their pain and were truly happy and grateful that someone had thought about them and wanted to help brighten their day. I always made sure to have a big smile on my face and was excited to see them. Volunteering in a hospital setting taught me a lot. I wouldn’t always want to go to volunteering, but I would go and remember that the time I am giving is more valuable than something else I might want to do at the time. I couldn’t go and not give 100 percent because that wouldn’t be fair to the people and patients I interacted with. Once I was in that mind set my mood would change and I would be excited to go volunteer.


Late in high school I became involved with Habitat for Humanity. I was only able to complete one project with the club, but it left a lasting impression on me. Through my service at the hospital and Habitat I along with my twin sister received that coveted medal upon graduating high school. The medal had a different meaning for me now though. I didn’t want the medal because I thought it was “cool” like I had 4 years earlier. I didn’t necessarily even want to medal anymore. My perseverance to receive this medal had changed me. It had made me into a person who was passionate about service and wanted to continue to serve upon going to college.

I did not pursue service my first semester at Wittenberg University because I wanted to get adjusted to college life, but I heard from an upperclassman about a chance to go to Lesotho and serve there for a month in the summer. I was instantly intrigued and wanted to learn more about this trip. An Information meeting was held and I was there to learn everything I could about the trip. After attending the meeting I was hooked, I had to go. I immediately called my parents and told them about it. They were wary at first, but told me I could apply and if I was accepted to go we would talk about it again. I applied and right before the Holiday break I was accepted to go on the trip. I was ecstatic! To be able to serve for a month was incredible, but to have the chance to serve a month in Africa was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I came home for break and told my parents the news. They were still undecided about the issue and wanted some time to think it over. After much deliberation they came to the conclusion that I could go. I informed my professor I would accept his invitation and when I returned for classes in the spring I began attending weekly meetings to learn about the trip and more importantly about Lesotho, the country we would be spending 4 summer weeks in. The semester ended and not long after I was on a plane to Lesotho. That month in Lesotho forever changed my life


This trip was amazing. We were able to interact with the Basotho and form relationships with the people we were helping. The Basotho are some of the most incredible people I have ever had the blessing of interacting with. They were so grateful for everything we did. They thanked us over and over again.  I have never seen more creativity and resourcefulness in my 19 years. The toys the kids would make themselves were so unique and creative. It was inspiring to see and it made me realize how boring and spoiled our society is in the U.S. It forced me to see how blessed I am, and also how much I take for granted. I could never imagine not knowing where my next meal is going to come from or wondering how I am going to stay warm on a cold winter night. These were things the kids we hung out with had to deal with every day, yet they were so full of life! Some one of them didn’t have their mom or dad or both. It seemed as though it didn’t appear to faze them. They were almost conditioned to the fact that this was how life is, which broke my heart. But they also gave me hope. When talking to a lot of them, I learned that they enjoyed school and they were eager to learn. They had goals and ambitions. They were simply amazing and the interactions and relationships I formed with the Basotho have forever changed me as a person. Going to Lesotho lit a fire under me unlike anything else ever has. I came back home knowing that I couldn’t live the rest of my life and not serve in some way. I immediately became involved with Habitat for Humanity at school and began to talk to Dr. Rosenberg and Andrew Steele about the Peace Corps and Youth and Global Mission. I contacted Andrew about interning for BLOOM and he graciously brought me onto the team. I look forward to continuing to serve in any way that I can, but especially in ways that benefits Lesotho. If it weren’t for Lesotho I wouldn’t be who I am today. I wouldn’t have the goals and ambitions that I have and for that I will be forever thankful.

By: Michael LaCagnin

No comments:

Post a Comment