Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Return to Where We Belong


Tomorrow, William and I leave for a land many people are unaware of.  We leave for a land of Mountains, waterfalls, and dirt roads.  We venture to a picturesque landscape, scattered with sheep which seem to just be white dots in the distance.  The constant cooing of the doves and the heckling of the Hadeda birds will greet us each morning.  The smells of burning rubbish.  The sounds of cowbells passing by.  The setting sun over rolling hills and sandstone cliffs.  A nation of beautiful people…awaits us. 



Tomorrow, we leave for Lesotho.

It’s been just about a year since William and I have been back to the land that forever changed us.  So much has happened since that time, both in our own personal lives and the life of Bloom.  So many exciting, wonderful things. 

And returning to the Mountain Kingdom in the Sky adds to the fruitful blessings we’ve endured over the past year.  I am so excited to see old friends, surprise family members, and meet new and inspiring people.  No visit to Lesotho and South Africa is the same.  The plethora of diversity will be abounding, and I look forward to the simplicity and complexity of Africa.  I can’t wait to walk alongside my brothers and sisters again.



Striving towards a life lived through Ubuntu has been a challenge over the years.  But with each visit to southern Africa, I am reminded of the gentle and natural hospitality expressed by my brothers and sisters.  I am eager to hold the hands of those I have not seen for a year.  I am ready to serve, humbly, and learn new and fascinating facets of Basotho culture and life. 

And with every breath of fresh mountain air I will take, you all will be with me.  My family.  My friends.  My colleagues and co-workers.  Our supporters.  And those who wish they could be with us.  As Ubuntu has taught us, we are only who we are and able to do what we do because of all of you.

I thank you, and can’t wait to share more of our travels and experiences with you.

Sala hantle, (stay well)

Andrew    

No comments:

Post a Comment